Posted on Friday, 26th August 2011 by lordofthewing
1) That was a record. Usually you have hope for around 5 or 10 mins but the Swedish Zander Diamond made sure that after 42 seconds all hope was lost. We needed a miracle after that and history coupled with over average hamstrung squad ensured that wasn’t going to happen.
That 4 min spell when we all started to believe that we could turn it round is just typical Celtic.
2) I lay the blame fully at the door of individuals both on and off the park to this defeat. Looking back, in the cold light of day and re-reading the live blog, I don’t think I have many complaints about the performance, I expected it to be as average and as toothless as our previous two forays onto a football field.
The club had given me an indication of our level and I lowered my expectations accordingly. That’s sad.
3) It’s times like these I look at our balance sheet and weep at the part that says Football Operation Costs. The thought that we pay an SPL Tax to attract players becomes a reality and it’s hard not to fathom that we are over-paying for some of the ability in the squad.
Despite their culpability in our demise the signings of Ki, Cha, Hooper and Kayal (and Izzy) are a step in the right direction, it’s a direction we need to go, until we produce youngsters who can embrace a wider cultural change that is needed in the Scottish game.
The problem we have is guys like Brown, Samaras etc who are overpaid for what they actually contribute to the greater good. More bang for your buck is needed.
4) Talking about Ki and Kayal any bids that were sitting on the table will now be considered. Though the clubs that are tabling them will maybe revise their offers now……
5) I didn’t want to go out meekly or without having a go. We ended up doing both with some wondering why struggling players, mainly due to fitness, weren’t hooked or we didn’t change formation.
My reasoning is that like me our Gaffer didn’t think we were good enough to completely open up and have a go plus was the game really suited to an out of form Commons and Stokes?
In fact the more I consider it and in light of a hapless Swedes contribution I don’t think we could have done much more than we did. He was right to look for a small window for opportunity when we got ourselves back into the game then make his changes.
The problem was that Ki ensured that window was barely ajar before it was slammed shut.