Yesterday at Firhill, Neil did some experimenting. I enjoyed what I saw.

There was enough there to give him and the coaches food for thought for the rest of the campaign. The system needed a few wee adjustments, but what I didn’t expect – and nor did any of us – was a full-scale change of the formation and a brand new team set-up.

And it worked, for the most part.

Or I thought so anyway.

The match wasn’t a total success; as I’ll go over, there were one or two matters of concern, but there are possibilities here if we are going to use this system in certain games. And in those games I think it could be quite effective, if we can get players used to it.

So let’s take a more in-depth look at what we did yesterday.

It was an odd one.