Wigan’s Interest In Charlie Wyke Means That Celtic Now Have To Make A Quick Decision.

Image for Wigan’s Interest In Charlie Wyke Means That Celtic Now Have To Make A Quick Decision.

If Celtic are still interested in Sunderland striker Charlie Wyke then we’re finally being forced to make a quick decision on how far we push our efforts to get him.

The news from south of the border that Wigan have arrived late to the party with an offer means that if we’re sitting around waiting for an answer that the strategy just ran out of road.

Wyke has, this afternoon, confirmed that he’ll be leaving Sunderland. They had made him a good offer but earlier in the week their manager had confirmed that he’d turned it down and was almost certainly going to be leaving.

He will probably sign for someone in the next day or two.

Celtic has a tendency to wait on these things, unless we feel a position is pressing.

It might be that we were going to wait to find out about Edouard, or until we’d decided the fate of Ajeti. But that plan is now up in the air. If we want this guy we have to put in the extra yards now, before he’s signed for some other club.

If we don’t want him, fair enough, but Hibs aren’t likely to part with Nisbett on the cheap and we can’t really afford a protracted saga.

This guy is available, he’s available on a free, we’ve scouted him, we’ve talked to him … and if he fits into what Ange is trying to do, we need to go out and get him before somebody else does.

Sign him before kick-off tomorrow and we might even see him play.

I talked about Wyke on the Endless Celts podcast last night (and Nisbett too.) The one thing about him that stands out is that he very obviously fits into the style Lennon had us playing.

But I’ve heard Ange talk about the importance of balls into the box and presumably having a penalty box striker could only be an asset to the team.

But it might just be that Wyke doesn’t fit into the plan at all.

Either way, the next few days should reveal all, because this transfer story is nearing its end whether we are moving to close the deal or not.

Last night I was happy to spend some time with the Endless Celts podcast guys. You can check it out below.

Share this article